Dec 4, 2005

Keys to the future.

Today, I found my keys.

It sounds like such an insignificant thing, I found my keys, a so what eliciting kind of moment. What makes it significant though, is the fact that I lost selfsame keys over a year ago. It may be hard to imagine something like that happening to someone but, in essence it sums up a lot about my life.

I find there is always an inordinate mental chatter, a buzz level of things passing in and around the periphery of my attention resulting in a level of confusion which while not enormous is something which needs to be worked around at times. I suffered some really severe head trauma back when I was in my late teens and until this moment I never thought of a connection between the two but, I imagine there could be one there. I’m one of those people that can be all set to go out somewhere and then find myself caught up in the maelstrom of trying to find misplaced keys.

And... it’s not funny.

No, it’s a big hassle and there’s this sense of desperation that sets in as I turn everything upside down in an attempt to find whatever it is that has been misplaced. This is an all together too regular occurence.

But, today was a victory of sorts - I found the keys that had been lost for over a year!

Hurray!

Over the last several weeks, as I have found myself caught up in the storm of what has been going on with the EYOC, at the same time I have been attempting to clear a lot fo the clutter from my own life. It’s not a small task. I don’t buy into the scorched Earth policy of throwing everything away - no, I have to sort through everything. Waste not, want not and all of that. Find a new home or a new use for something - or maybe just find a proper place to put something in.

It’s a very big job.

So, much of my time is spent in solitude digging through various piles and sorting, sorting, sorting away. Each day brings the discovery of another treasure or another piece of the past long since forgotten. Sometimes, I have wondered whether or not I am too obsessed with the past. In that list from the other day, the last thing was a question about regrets and I think of having far too many to keep track of. Funny thing is, as I get older the past although it grows in volume becomes less and less significant in importance - weird life physics at work once again.

1 comment:

Elayne said...

Just make sure your piles never, ever block the entrances to your home.